Monday, March 19, 2007

Confessions of a Blog Delinquent..

Thank you, internet (specifically Amy), for poking me in the proverbial ribs to see if I'm still breathing. I am indeed. And I'm not even in the hospital with any weird illness, or curled up in my bed, in the fetal position hiding from the world, as I normally am when the blog gets cold.

Nope, just being a big old blog-deadbeat. As the Ethan who used to lay on the floor, occasionally rolling from one side to the other, playing with one toy at a time becomes the Ethan who crawls at warp-speed, going from one side of the room to the next, eying the staircase with an adventurer's lust and playing with every toy he owns in a 10 minute timespan, I find I have less and less time to sit on my fat ass to randomly post my mothering musings into the blogosphere.

I have also, praise be the change in seasons, managed to get my aforementioned fat ass out of the house and onto the jogging trail. Mama sunk a buttload of cash into a BOB Revolution jog stroller a couple of weeks ago and made a renewed vow to shrink dramatically. See, at first, I placated myself with the "9 up, 9 down!" mantra and for the first 6, went about scarfing down my grande soy chai tea lattes and blueberry muffins. Then suddenly, I was facing my 9th month post-partum and looking surprisingly....fat. Hmmmmm, I thought breastfeeding was supposed to just melt the baby fat away. I thought the weight would just fall off--it's not like I needed it for the baby anymore, right? Then as I rounded 10 months post-partum, I realized that I am hardly in any pictures with Ethan because Mama doesn't take a very good picture right now. And I thought---that's no way to be!!!

So here it is--I have 1.5 months to go until his birthday and I want to be at least 10 pounds lighter in his birthday pictures. And so, when the weather is nice, Mama and E hit the trail along the Potomac and I jog until I feel like my head is going to explode. Then I walk until I can breathe again and the searing cramp in my side goes away. Then I jog again. Good times. It had better freaking work. If anyone out there has some suggestions on how to drop the pounds (aside from 16 weeks in The Biggest Loser house), I'm open!

So that's what I've been doing--chasing after my cheeky little monkey and trying to melt my fat ass off. I promise to keep you posted on both more regularly, internet! I love ya!


6 comments:

Alice said...

Holy LORD am I with you on this post. I was also led to believe breastfeeding would have me wearing bikinis weeks post partum (damn you hiedi klum), alas I'm still not flab free and we're at 6m.
Keep up the good and hard work, you can do it! (and keep up the posts, we missed you!)

Sarah said...

This sounds crazy, and I swear I've never done an exercise DVD before, BUT I got Shape Magazine's _Bikini Body Camp_, and I really like it-- I only do it on cold/rainy days when I can't jog outside with Harry, and I've noticed a difference in my arms and abs. There are 3 30-minute workouts on one dvd, so it doesn't get too borning, and the cheesey workout women make great inane comments throughout (ie "We're always sitting down and standing up"). Fun times.

Becci said...

Good luck to you. I am amazing at justifying eating 4 cookies at a time... food is a weakness for me. I said I was going to exercise.... it only lasted one day. Of course, we only have 3 months of good weather around here.

Amy said...

Thank God you are alive - lol!

You have good excuses though. I wish it was nicer here. Then we cold be outside all the time, not just one or two days a week!

Andrea said...

Evan is Mr. Mobile these days too! It is hard to keep up. I hope you and Ethan are having a great time jogging!

Elena said...

As long as I kept the milk factory running, the fat would NOT budge. I read somewhere that it was Nature's way to make sure Mom had enough energy to continue making milk. I considered it a cruel joke. And don't underestimate how a bit of PPD, regardless of it's intensity will affect your ability to lose the weight. Neurotransmitters and crap like that. Exercise will help in so many areas. It's great that you're doing it. And DC is starts to get so pretty in the spring. Especially around the tidal basin with all the cherry blossoms. (Grew up in NOVA)