Thursday, September 11, 2008

Look Out, 2020 Summer Games

because your men's gymnastic gold medalist is already working it...





Note to self: Hang some curtains, put a picture or two up on the wall and maybe play the "clean up" game with the kid a little more often. Just sayin'....

But he's cute, right? This is the life skill Husband decided to teach Ethan last weekend. We've been honing it to a fine art all. week. long. The best part? When he says, "Mommy do it!" and I have to climb up onto the little wooden IKEA chair behind the couch and heave myself over onto the cushions below with mock exertion and, let's be honest, feigned enthusiasm. There's only so much couch jumping mama can do before A.) the cushions sag irreparably and B.) the game loses its luster.

Well, at least for me. It is, seemingly, a game of endless glee and possibilities for the little man. One time he might land on his head (every mother's favorite position to see her kid land in, no?), and the next, he flips himself like a pole vaulter onto his back 1/2 way over the couch.

So clearly, just what sport he competes in during the 2020 games remains to be seen. And who knows, if we truly become a society of couch potatoes, perhaps couch-jumping will itself an Olympic feat by the time he's ready for competition.

Here's hoping...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I give him a 9.8. A .2 deduction for the shriek at the end. But I'm certain he'll be a contender for a medal.

Becca said...

That is cute! What is it about couches that makes them so tempting to climb?

AJU5's Mom said...

I think pole vaulting is in his future. He isn't into the perfect landings for gymnastics it appears... or maybe high jump?

Anonymous said...

Or maybe mountain climbing! Adorable..

Kate B. said...

oh you are so much more patient than me, Sarah. Call me uptight but I just see the juice stains on the rug, my lovely new sofa heading to an early demise and on it goes. I really should chill out... (or get a maid??)