Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bye Bye, Boobie..

Well, at least bye bye to the boobie being the only beverage on the menu.

Ethan's 9 month "well check" didn't go, well, well. He is still, even with the copious amounts of solids we shovel in his mouth, just under 15lbs, which keeps him teetering on the edge of his already itty bitty growth curve. His head circumference is doing the same thing--growing, but not fast enough and falling off of his curve. Hrm....what to do?

Well, what to do is apparently supplement, supplement, supplement. Normally, I would "harummmmph" that advice, pump a little to get my supply back up, take a few fenugreek supplements and be lactating enough to nurse a small army of babies within a day or two, never touching a drop of formula. But this time there was a tone in the doctor's voice that led me to believe there is some urgency here. This is the first time head circumference and brain development has been mentioned. And, as sad as I am to admit it and as much as it goes against what I've always believed and been told, my breastfeeding alone just ain't cutting it for Ethan anymore. I know that from the fabulous digital baby scale my lactation consultant lent me last month; Ethan rarely gets more than 2 oz each time he nurses, regardless of how long he stays latched (which on a good day is 5 minutes at a time, even at night).

Truth is, the last few times I've done the pump and fenugreek shuffle haven't been as successful as they used to be. My supply goes up for a few days, but my only customer is too distracted by life to nurse for more than a few minutes at a time. That means, I could pump 24/7 and overdose on fenugreek and still end up with a mere trickle. Unless I start taking in other hungry babies to keep my supply up, it's going to go out of business. And as there is not much in the way of "wet nurse wanted" in the classifieds these days, it seems that my "breastaurant" (thanks for the term, Amy) is going to be going out of business earlier than expected.

Am I sad? Unspeakably. Don't even want to write about that part of it because I'll just sound like a big old drama queen (Yes, internet, I know. Please contain your snickers. I realize I almost ALWAYS sound like a drama queen).

But am I resolved to get my baby more calories even if those calories don't come from Mama? Yes. I could be stubborn and fiesty about it and refuse to supplement. I could. But I won't.

I gave breastfeeding nine months and I worked hard at it. I pumped exclusively for a month and then we worked through nipple shields and latch issues. I brought my supply back from the brink of disaster after spending a week in the hospital away from Ethan back in July. I tackled my own fears of nursing in public and have become a confident and successful breast feeder. It was harder than I ever thought it would be, but I stuck with it and I am so proud of that accomplishment. It isn't the year I had hoped for, but if exclusively breastfeeding for a year means starving my son, I don't really see the point.

The dilemma now is how to convince Ethan of this. See, he wants to nurse less and less these days, but he doesn't want to even consider adding a bottle to his day. Or a sippy cup. Or anything but the boob, on his terms. He'll hog down jars of baby food and yogurt if I let him, but he is, at this point, a one-beverage boy. So we struggle. The doctor said sometimes the only way to get a stubborn baby to take a bottle is to stop offering the boob. I know he's right; why would Ethan take that funny plastic thing with the weird tasting stuff in it when he knows he can get the *real* thing? But at the same time, the thought of becoming the boob-nazi and saying, "No! No boob for you!" is agony and spells certain absolute death to the milk machine. I'm not ready for that yet.

So our current plan is that mommy pumps a few times during the day to keep up that meager little supply she's got. Mommy & Ethan fight over which sippy cup or bottle is going to be acceptable and which formula is not too icky to swallow. Then we nurse at night. The goal is apparently 24oz in 24 hours, just as it was way back when. Yesterday I think I got about 8oz of formula in him after hours and hours of begging, cajoling and banging my head against a wall. We shall see what today brings. Wish us luck.

8 comments:

Becci said...

I'm so sorry you're having to supplement. Had there not been numerous reasons for me to "formulate" Dorothy, I would have been breastfeeding into toddlerhood. If you have a Costco near you, try that formula. I think it smells and tastes less like iron than the other brands AND it is $20 for 2 big cans that you would normally pay $25 for ONE can of the name brands. Dorothy did well switching to formula when I used that... she made faces at the other kinds. Of course she was taking a bottle from pretty early. She thought the bottle was the boob. Go figure. Anyway, it is worth a shot.

Jess Connell said...

Oh wow, what a dilemna. I found your blog through a search someone did for my blog- anyway- a random search for wet-nursing led me to your blog! :)

I'm sorry you're facing this... I've noticed this time around (I'm now nursing my 3rd baby), my milk supply is only adequate. Whereas before, both my boys were growing like weeds, fattening up, and I was spraying and changing breast pads like crazy, with this one, I'm just making a sufficient amount. She's 8 months old now. I hope not to have to do what you're doing, but I can see how that would be possible, whereas before I could never see that. Blessings to you and I hope it all works out!

KMW said...

Good luck! At the risk of sounding like the social worker I am, I totally know that losing nursing is a grief process...even after all my bitching and moaning about nursing, I will be sad when the time comes--and I imagine it will be sooner rather than later since I am going back to work soon. From what I understand the boob gets wise to the pump pretty quick

Alice said...

I know how hard and stressful it is to get a reluctant boy to take a bottle, but Ethan will figure it out soon. You should be totally applauded for all your nursing efforts. Mothers don't get as many standing ovations as they should, and you definitely deserve one! You are doing what's best for your gorgeous boy, good luck!

Chase said...

I am so impressed you were able to breastfeed for as long as you did. Nine months is a real accomplishment - on so many levels. So many women never even get through the first month. When I had to start supplementing at 3.5 months, I was devastated, but at the end of the day it's all about insuring your child grows, thrives and meets/exceeds growth requirements. I found having a couple margaritas helped ease my grieving process.

Sarah said...

This may sound crazy-- and I totally understand your sadness-- but I sort of envy you-- think of your newfound freedom! While it's absolutely wonderful to be the mommy food machine, it is always-- even under the very best (breast?) of circumstances-- overwhelming. You can get DRUNK. You can leave the house for as long as you want without the baby and not worry about pumping or engorgement. You can wear a DRESS. (and H&M has some adorable ones that I am buying as soon as Harry is 1 and I won't have to lift it over my freraking head when he's hungry) He can stay overnight with grandparents if you want him to. You don't have to PUMP anymore. Just trying to think on the bright side! I love breastfeeding, but there are a few things I won't miss.

Amy said...

I am right there with you in the weaning. I did it last week and now I wonder if it was the right thing -- that's Mommy Guilt for ya.

You did AWESOME nursing him this long. Especially with the hospital stay and all that jazz. You can totally still comfort nurse and/or nurse him at before bed if you want to.

I hope it's not too hard on either of you!

Anonymous said...

I know how hard this must be for you,not just teh weening but the trying to get him to take a bottle. One suggestion that worked for us was to have Dad give the bottles as much as possible, so that there is no temptation for the baby to want the boob. Also, I have heard that it may help to mix a bit of breast milk in with the formula to help.
BTW, my son loved the Costco/Sams formula as well.
Good luck and you have done great to get htis far.