Friday, February 09, 2007

Houston, we have a crawler..

It's a wobbly crawl, a shaky crawl, an almost non-crawl, but it is a crawl.

Today around 5pm, Ethan caught a glimpse of his So Big! Elmo book just out of reach and decided he had to have it. There was much stretching and grasping until he realized finally that it just wasn't going to cut it. And seeming as he HAD to have the book right then and there (Elmo is baby crack, you know that, right?), he had only one choice. To get up on those hands and knees and get them coordinated, once and for all.

And he did. One hand came up and the corresponding knee followed. And then down again, an inch or so in front of where they started (right now you are wondering why you bother to still read my blog, if what you're going to get from me is a play by play of crawling, right? Sorry--I'm excited!) And then he did it with the other hand and knee.

He only got through 2 actual crawly movements before his back end decided it was done with milestones for the day. Thankfully he was within grasping reach of his crack pipe, I mean, book.

So, moms of those who have crawled, how long do I have before the place has to be 100% baby proofed? Because honestly, I think my entire house is a choking hazard right now. I see a serious trip to Babies R Us in our near, near future....

2 comments:

Janice said...

Ok, Sarah, I am a little embarassed to say this but it was not until my son is a little over a year old - when he was already walking that we JUST started "baby proofing". My mother harped about it (who by the way never baby proofed her own house causing me to fall off the last 3 steps of our house when I was 2 - maybe that's why I'm mental, but that's another story). But then again, my son was not the type to move all over the place. He didn't crawl until he was 10months!!! My daughter (now 8 months) is all over the place. So I guess it all depends how Ethan is. If you think he'll climbing Mount Everest tomorrow then maybe a baby gate is in the near future? Hope this helps. Way to go crawling, Ethan!!

Amy said...

I just saw this entry. You have about a week. Then it will be a full-out assault. BUT with that said, we didn't really need to do anything major until he learned to walk. Crawling is more the time to cover the outlets and remove the low-lying books and whatnot.

Congrats on the crawling!!!