Monday, July 30, 2007

Plays Nice With Others...

Today I had my first mental meltdown about comments on my blog. Normally, I get about 3-4 comments on a post; most are from people I know or from writers of others blogs that I have been commenting on since the proverbial beginning of time (ie--since I figured out what blogs are). I read all the comments (this is not a strain, as I said, I get 3-4 per post on average), appreciate that people took the time to read and leave their own thoughts behind, and then I move on.

On my last post, the awkward transition from talking about my sweet little cousin's battle with cancer and my own far less important haircut, I received two comments that threw me into a whole existential "what's the purpose of my blog, and what am I supposed to do about comments that other people leave when really they have the right to say anything they want, but I don't know if they are trying to be nice or mean, and should it matter one way or the other if their comments offend another reader at all??" sort of angst. Please note: there is no punctuation in my head.

I've had about 3 cups of coffee while contemplating this (really? couldn't tell...) and I'm wishing now I hadn't done what I did. In a rush of "No! There can be no discord in my blog comments!" frenzy, I deleted both comments so that they are lost forever in the fog of poor judgment and crazy party-host mentality.

See, I am one of those people who has to make sure that everyone is happy. When Husband & I throw a party, be it a keg-tapping, music blaring, invite the neighbors so they don't call the cops on you party or a quieter, wine-sipping dinner for four party, I spend most of my time flitting about with heart palpitations, ensuring that everyone has what they need and that they are as content with life as they can possibly be at that very moment, lest I feel like a total and utter failure as a hostess.

It never occurred to me that I would feel the same way about my blog. When I started writing, it was because I was on bedrest and bored. I told a couple people about it, but didn't really expect anyone to read it beyond the first entry or two. I wrote without any sense of being self-conscious--I wrote about my cervix, about the trans-vaginal ultrasound (ie the dildo-cam), I wrote about my boobs leaking when my milk started to come in. It was great; I was filling up all this time on bedrest and cracking myself up at the same time.

And then....people started commenting. And that of course, meant other people were reading. And telling people about my blog. It was and is a wonderful sense of validation to know that people actually take a few moments out of their day to see what is happening in our lives here. So more people started commenting and I became increasingly aware that my thoughts were being read by lots of other people; even people who weren't leaving comments. I received a comment one day from an older, male relative whom I have no memory of ever meeting. When I asked my mom about it, she said, "Oh yeah! I emailed the family with your blog address!" That was pretty much the end of my talking about my vagina and all of the goings-on in it's neighborhood during the rest of my pregnancy.

Since then I have sort of toughened up about it. If people want to read, they can read and if they see something they don't like, well.....they can stop reading. I've made peace with that as it pertains to my own writing. But what to do when the comments left by a reader leave you, me or someone else out there scratching their head?

"Commenter A" I will call him because I lack all originality and humor today, left what was either an incredibly flattering f'bomb-laden comment about my new hair or a very mean-spirited cut at me for including such a bizarre combination of topics in my last post. And of course, the problem with the blog comment is that is lacks a real voice and therefore the intention behind the comment can get lost. I spent far too much time going back and forth between, "Wow, he's really excited about my new hair cut, to, ohmygod, he thinks I am being totally horrible and shallow for bringing up my hair at a time like this, to well, maybe my hair really does look that good, to don't be silly, nobody's hair looks that good; he's being ironic to, jesus christ, he could just be trying to emphasize his positive thoughts, will you ever learn to take a freaking compliment???!!!" It's been exhausting. But I was pretty much at the point of letting it just "be" when the plot thickened...

Commenter B came along, choosing to remain anonymous and called out Commenter A, calling his comment offensive and chastising him for using the f'bomb. I should clarify that I use the f'bomb quite often in my posts, so perhaps this commenter was also scolding me. Don't know.

Then I started thinking, what do I do when the thoughts that others have regarding my posts make me or other readers uncomfortable? I am the queen of the nervous laughter at the dinner table when someone broaches an "inappropriate" topic of conversation and I am well-skilled in changing the subject; I was raised to avoid conflict at pretty much all costs. I come from the "everything is fine!" grin and hide it school of conflict resolution. So it doesn't surprise me that my first instinct was to erase the comments that created the discomfort.

But that's not who I want to be as a writer, a blogger or a person. So I decided to pretty much give life back to those two comments with this post by explaining what happened. And I promise, I will not erase comments from my blog in the future unless the circumstances truly call for it (privacy issues, utter out-and-out nastiness, etc).

So to Commenter A, if your comment was a compliment, thank you for your enthusiasm; I appreciate the compliment and I'm sorry I'm so freaking neurotic that I misread it. If it was a commentary on the inappropriateness of talking about my hair in the same post as I talked about little Lindsay's battle with cancer, I get where you're coming from and recognize the awkwardness in it. Chalk it up to me being not a good enough writer to segue more smoothly from the deeply emotional to the inane everyday.

And to Anonymous Commenter B, I wish you had posted who you were so I'd know if I was talking to my mom or a stranger out there in the blogosphere, but I am sorry that anything in my blog offended you; this is the chance you take when you write blindly for an undefined audience. I am going to continue dropping f'bombs when I feel they are warranted, as will my readers, I am sure. I hope you decide to keep reading in spite of that.

Now I'm going to stop breathing into a paper bag over this whole thing and get the hell over it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, although this is only the second time I have responded to your blog, I have been reading it from the beginning...
The reality of blogs is that you, as the writer, make yourself vulnerable to more people than you realize. As readers of your blog we must remember that the comments on YOUR blog are YOUR OWN and no one has the right to be so critical. We are not to judge! The two commentors who had such strong words for your last entry need to get over themselves! As mothers/women we all struggle to understand graves issues, like tumors in children, AND our looks ALL AT THE SAME TIME.(In my mind) Your blog is an authentic reflection of you and your daily life, which includes spiritual, emotional and physical struggles and triumphs. Don't let any of the negative comments get to you.Your blog belongs to you.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh -- sorry. One of those deleted comments is mine, and I guess in retrospect I can see why. I will stop dropping all of those F-bombs -- although I only did it because I've seen a lot of them around here, and I thought it went well with the phrase "stupid F-ing tumor" -- a perfect phrase for what it is, by the way. I was only trying to make an obviously not funny play on the phrase. But again, I'll clean it up.

As for the rest of the content -- I'm heartsick about your cousin's daughter. Just heartsick. I think I even responded so a few days ago when you broke the news. I have a little girl of my own, and the thought of it just ... I think we all know.

At the same time, yes, I WAS pretty excited about your hair. It looks great. Awesome, in fact. I was in no way trying to send any message other that. It's perfectly cool in my book to talk about cancer and in the next sentence talk about style -- how else could we ever get by?

So there you go -- I wish I had seen the deleted comments msg earlier and saved you any angst. If this doesn't clear it up, drop me a line and I'll send you my home number so we can chat. Seriously, I love your work here.

Best,

Mike

melody said...

uh oh, another reader coming out of the woodwork. I stumbled across your blog while you were still on bedrest and I have loved following your journey. I would like to say that this recent turn of events has prompted me to respond to you for the first time. Not because it is the first time I have been moved in any way by reading this, but rather because I guess I can finally be honest and tell you that I check your blog daily! Ahh, that feels good. I know it may appear as though you and I have nothing in common. But I love your writing. I am actually studying journalism (not that you could tell by my blog...heh) and the irony is that it scares the hell out of me to have others read my writing. Your blog gives me little shoves in my own pursuit of writing. So I write seriously outside of my blog, and less-seriously in my blog, more for my own entertainment. Anyway all of this to say that I am praying for your family and I agree with Mike, your previous post only illuminates the fact that we must carry on. Your hair does look amazing, and family is facing a hard time- this is life. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I had to go back and see what my comment was. I went to blogher and I was feeling a bit giddy. I'm that clueless that I saw the whole post for what I thought it was. Prayers for Lindsay, new paragraphs, the haircut. Color me stupid but I didn't see anything wrong with any of it.
I always read, rarely comment. I'm OK, ask Amy, I'm her neighbor. Actually I should go water her plants now since they asked me to while they are gone.
Your blog, you can do or say what you want. I'm always reminded, um, the x....that's what it is for.

KMW said...

totally hear you! Having gone through my own comment angst, I can so totally relate to how powerful comments are! Your blog is awesome--keep it up (not like me who hardly writes at all anymore) and don't worry about yucky comments!

I am so sorry about your little niece as well. I'm sorry I didn't comment earlier on that. She really and truly is in my thoughts.

You're haircut is great:)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Commenter B. I'm fine with the f*bomb most of the time. I just felt offended by his comment & I have a hard time holding my tongue. I realize that people will say whatever they damn well please in their own blogs and that is how it should be!!! But others who comment should show some restraint, in my opinion.

I found your blod through another one I read... and I'll keep reading so bombs away!!!

And your hair really does look that good. :)

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog this afternoon, but this post really struck a chord with me because I've been going through my own comment angst lately (long story, but basically one of my neighbours found my blog and started leaving abusive comments on it)... Anyway, I just wanted to second Liz's comment about not letting the negative comments get you down. I'm the kind of person who tends to obsess over the slightest criticism and feel like a big ol' failure (even if I've had 100 positive comments for every negative one) but once you start writing with the commentors in mind, and second-guessing what they might think of what you're writing, you just end up tying yourself in knots.

Anyway, as I said, I just found you today but it looks like you're doing a great job here, so I'll be be sure and check back :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah your post and the responses brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat probably out of identification with you and also the essential goodness of your readers and clarity of the reflections in the responses...except for Amber's neighbor (sorry Amber).

It is really amazing how our lives touch those of others. And this outpouring is just another manifestation of that.

It's also fascinating that the juxtaposition of the two posts, both of which reinforce our humanness and then your concerns about the effects of this paradox of our lives where happiness at relatively mundane events (your hair does look great by the way) at the same time as we are feeling incredible sadness, brought forward this incredible amount of reflection from your readers (including me).

Go girl, the only person you need to satisfy with your thoughts and responses is you. This is YOUR blog and your life with yourself and with your family.

And, I think that many of the posts are full of admiration for you and your honesty in writing what you did.

So as I also am a "life at 45 degrees" junkie...I hope you will not worry about whatever reactions your thoughts may provoke in others (interesting that your anonymous posters did not think they were being negative) because in any case that is "their" problem, not yours.