Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Los Angeles--Apparently Where Cats Go to Die...

So we've been here for three months and both of my cats have seen fit to up and die on me. I guess that pretty much firms up what they think of being moved cross country in their golden years.

Miss Independence seems to have had a couple of lungs full of cancer; at least that's what the xray I found myself staring at last night at midnight showed us. Abby stopped eating yesterday and around 6pm she was having a hard time breathing. I thought I'd take her in to the vet this morning, hoping that it was a respiratory cold, but by 11pm last night I was feeling neglectful and selfish for not taking her in, so she and I took that long, sad ride down the street to the emergency vet clinic.

So I found myself once again, for the second time in just over two months, murmuring my gratitude and farewell into one of my kitty's furry ears while the vet just made it all go away.

We had fifteen years together and I have to say it was a bit heart-ripping to wake up this morning after the few hours of sleep I managed to get, and find that I'd left the hallway door open (we normally close it so she can't come in to our room and rattle our window blinds to wake us) and that there was no kitty to feed, for the first time in my adult life.

When Penny died, I had days to process it; there were tons of tests and "is this the right thing?" and time to snuggle and soak in all her Penny-ness before saying goodbye. With Abby it happened so quickly and urgently, I am still finding myself surprised by her absence and catching my breath when I realize that, "oh yeah, she died last night."

So thanks Miss Abby, for being my kitty and keeping me company on this part of the journey. Like I told you last night, I will miss you every day.

22 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

Looks like she was a beautiful cat. Sorry both of them have decided living on the West Coast is not for them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad!! I loved the year we spent living together - how Abby would circle Chris and my heads once before settling in for the night on our bed. She was a wonderful cat (honestly my favorite cat I ever knew!) I am sorry you ahve to deal with this so soon after Penny's death.

We love you!
Karen

Unknown said...

Oh, so sad. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you had wonderful years with her and at least there was not a long period of suffering.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh Sarah, I am so sorry!

Your karma has to change soon, you've had a rough go of it lately.

Crystal said...

Hugs! I'm so sorry. I've been a pet owner for 3 days now and am just now coming to understand how attached we become to them. *tears*

Becca said...

I am so sorry. The thousand tiny reminders of them that pop up during an average day make it so hard. I know exactly what you mean.

Erica said...

Oh, Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear of Abby's passing. The loss of a pet is so unbelievably sad. And, I'm horribly sorry that you're having to deal with type of loss again soon soon. :(

Many, many HUGS to you!! You were a wonderful mother to your girls, and I know that truly appreciated your love and care over the years!

Becci said...

Making me cry... I am sorry about your sweet kitty:(

Sue said...

Hugs and tears on the loss of Miss Abby. They do wrest their way into our hearts, don't they?

Anonymous said...

oh, man, I should NOT have read this first thing this morning! I am so sorry... she was, indeed, a beautiful cat and 15 years was not long enough to love her, I bet.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm so sorry. Beautiful picture of her. :(

Sarah said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! It's a beautiful picture.

DT ~ RDH said...

Sorry about your kitty.
Her sweetness will always be with you.

Monica said...

that's awful. Nothing like taking your pet on it's last trip to the vet, knowing your coming home without it. I've been there, sorry for your loss of your 4 legged child.

Alice said...

I'm so sorry about your cat. It is such a hard thing to say good bye to a pet, especially after so many years of them just being there for you. But on the brighter side, it sounds like she had a great long life, and didn't have a long period of suffering at the end.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear about Abby. She was such a wonderful cat. We are thinking of you. Let's talk soon.
Love,
Barb

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry, S.
It's so hard to lose a pet, much less two so close together.

((hugs))

jeanne said...

I'm so sorry you lost your fur babies. Sigh.

Heidi said...

So sorry for your loss. I hope that the happy memories of both your kitties can bring you some comfort. (virtual hug!)

manhattan mama said...

We're so sorry to hear the news. Hard to be in a new place, and going through these losses. Hope our shout-out on the blog this morning cheers you a bit!

Veici said...

Very sorry to hear about Abby. She was such a genuine kitty - spritely, free spirited and huggable. Chloe has mentioned Abby a number of times since we got back, and when she saw the photo of Abby in your post, she immediately exclaimed 'Abby' in her heartwarming way. We'll miss her.

Avonlea said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's so hard to have reminders of our gone furbabies.