Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Study in Concentration...

Or, What the Hell Is Up With My Kid's Tongue...

Today was Ethan's Little Gym performance class--the one where 12 (or 2, in his case) weeks of hard work and preparation pay off with a big bang in the form of a bunch of 3 year olds running around, bumping into each other and falling off of balance beams while pretending to turn into butterflies.

He did awesome. I was so proud of him as he leapt around with the other little, um, Funny Bugs. I did get the "Hey, did you know you just wrote a big check to a cult?" vibe when the SUPERFUNCHEERY!!!! teacher turned on the surround-sound audio of some reassuring sounding man going on about how the gym promotes self-esteem and how these visits to the Little Gym will be a part of my child's cognitive, emotional, social and kinesthetic development forever. And when SUPERFUNCHEERY!!!! teacher reiterated it in her "before you go, we have to read these lines to you so the indoctrination will be complete" speech.

But more than the weird feeling that I had indeed been given a big cup of "the koolaid," I was distracted by the fact that Ethan did EVERYTHING with his tongue sticking out. I'm really not exaggerating. His tongue, mostly poking out of the side of his mouth, was omnipresent during the entire hour. Check out this tongue---it's in every single picture.









except this one--this one is just preshus.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Way back when Harry was a Bug (that what the 4-10 month olds are called), I commented on the creepy effing music, and the gym owner fuh-reaked out and told me how wonderful the guy on the tape is and blah, blah, blah.

Jack's little Beast class had their big show yesterday, and I blogged it, too. I love that we're a 1000 miles away and living parallel LG lives. Except you get to be behind the glass, you lucky, lucky woman :)

Neil said...

My god, this is the sort of gym stuff that I ran away from in high school! Walking the beam! I hope he didn't have to climb the rope.