Wednesday, May 24, 2006

stolen moment...

that's pretty much all I have right now while little Mr. E snoozes briefly.

Many things to report. I am happy to announce that I still know how to drive. Clearly not the most important development in the past few weeks, but it is reassuring to know that as incompetence abounds in other areas of my body, my brain is still relatively sharp (if remembering how to drive after 5 months as a passenger qualifies as an IQ test).

Little Mr. E is apparently not looking forward to being called a "4lb, 13oz weakling" on the beach this summer (chicks don't dig the chicken legs, you know), so he has shot up to 5lbs, 3 oz in just one week's time. The pediatrician (hello, cute Jewish doctor who is definitely younger than me--ugh!) was very impressed not only be Ethan's cuteness (I choose to believe his reaction was unique to my baby, not just his regular routine), but also with his growth. He is, according to the dr. "perfect"---we like this doctor. He knows his stuff...

What is NOT perfect is the fabulous gas that Mr. E endures about an hour after every meal. So now, not only did I have to restrict everything I put in my mouth during my pregnancy due to the GD, now I have to cut out anything that might upset the little senor's belly because I will tell you---there is nothing worse than the "I"m in pain" cry, especially when you know it's your milk that did it. I'm telling you, the mommy guilt never ends!

Oh and sleep? Hmmmmm, I have a vague recollection of sound, undisturbed sleep. It is a lovely memory and I hope that sometime within the next few years I will be able to revisit such bliss. Yesterday, I actually rejoiced in a 25 minute nap between 3:15-3:40. Ethan enjoys the sound of his voice, even in sleep. This makes for many "what was that?"and "Is he okay?" moments for mommy and daddy throughout the night. Sometimes I just end up awake and staring at the little man while he sleeps. How can I bare to sleep through his babyhood? I fear I will wake up and he'll be going to college.

And my son, aside from being a good eater, is freakishly strong--at 3 weeks (and 5 weeks early, so really minus 2 weeks!), he is already lifting his head up and looking around during tummy time and exerting his will by wriggling indignantly out of every swaddle we can fashion. It is truly astounding that his father can wrap him so tightly I wonder if the little burrito will be able to even breathe and then---poof! 30 seconds later he is waving his hands and taunting us once again. Unbelievable. We have our work cut out for us...

My work for right now is to try to grab a nap, whether it's for the next 10 minutes or an hour. One never knows what the little man has up his sleeve...

1 comment:

Becci said...

Sounds like he is doing great! I am so happy for you guys-- and am hoping you can find some time to sleep as he gets into a schedule more (if you'll be one of those lucky ones).

Pictures! We need more pictures....um, if you have time that is;)