Friday, June 29, 2007

Stuff...

First of all, thanks to those who commented on my whole "Mama's gettin' an allowance" post. The shock to my system is slowly wearing away & I appreciate the fact that I didn't get any "well, go get yourself a real job then, bitch" comments because those would have sent me into a good six months of therapy (funded by, who else? Husband and his bank account). It was nice to hear that what I am doing now (finding creative ways of saying "no" until my ears want to bleed, rolling a ball back and forth across the living room until my head wants to explode, and singing "Free to be You & Me" no fewer than ten times daily, along with the requisite naps, diapers, mealtimes in which precisely no eating takes place, etc) is actually considered work. So thank you for that. My mind is more at ease.

On another note, you might notice that I added some daily reads to mah blog. I've been gathering them for awhile and actually found time and the guts to go back into my blog template (I fear html in a way that makes me wonder what my computer *geek* husband sees in me in the first place) to update the links. A few links are dead and I can't figure out why. I'd ask Husband, but I am notoriously bad at taking instruction from him. So the deadness of some of the links remain a mystery to me, but I am keeping them up because I love the blogs they no longer take you to. I will try to fix them the next time I venture into the html-osphere. Anyway, some of the new ones are written by friends of mine and some I have just stumbled over in my quest for online amusement when I should be doing loads of laundry.

And on yet another note--congrats to my pregnancy twin, Amy (second daily read down on the right) on getting knocked up! After having a pregnancy freakishly similar to mine, she is onto bebe #2 and I have to admit it, it is making me think. I am getting ideas in my fool-head (ssshhhhhh---do NOT tell my mother; she will have my head on a platter for even thinking the thought). But I'm thinking.

I suppose you want to hear a bit about the little man, huh? And why not. Did I mention that we went to visit Grammy & Grampy in South Carolina? Well, we did. Aside from having to dine at Cracker Barrel on the way to and from the 'rents, it was a fabulous time. My child is a bona fide beach bum. Please note exhibit A:







We are close to walking, but methinks it might never happen. I do think he's getting bored with cruising, but he's not motivated enough to actually let go of anything without just plopping down and crawling to whatever he wants next. Yesterday he started letting me hold his hands while he walked around the room. We shall see where that leads us (besides the chiropractors)

My favorite recent development started yesterday & I like to call them "yummy noises". When Ethan puts something in his mouth he actually enjoys (this is a rarity and I swear the sky opens up as the angels play their tiny little harps and weep with joy), he looks at me and goes, "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" very emphatically. I realized today that he has started doing it because it's what I do when I try to get him to put something in his mouth. I take a bite and make a big show out of how tasty yummy it is. Apparently I make that noise as part of my pitch. While the majority of the food still ends up on the floor or, somehow, in hiding in his diaper, he lets me know what he does like with his happy little yummy noise. The foods that, at the moment, enjoy a coveted spot on the yummy-noise list are bananas, graham crackers, string cheese, avocado, watermelon, blueberries, tomatoes, mangoes and that's about it. Makes for some interesting dinner combinations. And I have to take time to note the irony that our skinny little man eschews all fattening foods, preferring instead healthy fruits and vegetables. While kids around him are hopping on the childhood obesity bandwagon, I've got an 17 and 1/2 pound 14 month old who just wants a little nosh of salad. Did you hear that? That was another strand of my hair going gray.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he continues his health diet through primary and secondary school you will "rejoice and be exceeding glad for great will be the reward"! Hope it keeps up once he learns about "peers"!

The beach pix are adorable.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh-- "Free To Be You and Me"-- totally forgot all about that-- thanks for the reference. Also, he is the cutest little beach bum ever. And I completely know what you mean about the chiropractor-- I think I hurt my neck because someone wanted to walk through Whole Foods yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a Dad who probably has "Free to be..." on LP somewhere in the basement, you are seriously scaring me. But, as for the food selection, remember all those green veggies that he eats now, because when he is older, his response will be "I ate what? And liked it? You've got to be kidding" (of course, the last sentance will be spoken in the same intonation as his mom, making her tear up knowing that he got that from her, and will be very angry, thinking the same exact thought.

Love you dear

Anonymous said...

to comment on my comment, for those younger viewers, an LP is a large disk, with a single groove on each side, spiralling towards the center. Usually, there are larger noticable grooves, denoting spaces. They are played on a "turn table" with a needle which mechanically interprets the bumps and crannies in the groove into music. The needle follows the groove from the outer rim towards the center. It behaves similar to a CD, where a "laser" reads the pits and grooves by bouncing light.

too old for my own good

Hey, see http://picasaweb.google.com/leapyeardad/WebPhotos which _should_ show some recent photos of the kids