Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bye, Bye Birdie...

I mean, boobie.

Yes, my lactating days are over. For quite some time (I'd say since the teeth turned Ethan into a biting, blood-drawing demon), we've only been nursing once or twice at night. On his first birthday, I rather unceremoniously packed up the pump and storage bottles, telling myself, "Good girl! You made it to a year!" and tossed them into a dark part of the basement, presumably never to be heard from again.

I figured we would nurse during the overnight for as long as the little man wanted. It is an incredibly easy way to convince him to go back to sleep--admittedly, I have been more of a pacifier than a source of nutrition for quite awhile. So for the past almost two months, the boobs have been a bit of Baby Ambien rather than the belly-sating milkshake of days gone by. I thought it would last for at least a few more months.

Nope. Last night Ethan, our up-all-night (or at least every hour) baby, slept from 8pm and, at present (7:05am) is still sleeping, with no late night boob snack. He's been doing the 8am-8pm sleep for quite awhile now, but it is always broken up by at least one or two quick fusses and latches, neither of which any of us really wake up for. But not last night.

There's a part of me that's thrilled--I've been wearing regular, non-nursing bras for over a month now and it's fabulous. There is something lovely and empowering about having my entire body back to myself after 1.5 years.

But then....it's letting go of something that's been a part of my body for 1.5 years. In a tiny way, it is just one more step on Ethan's path towards independence. Again, a lovely thing and I love watching him become his own person, but a mama's gotta feel a little pang of sadness when she realizes that her baby doesn't need her the way he did just a few months ago.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Congratulations lady! I totally feel you on this post. Part of me cannot wait to have my body back, (last night I actually dreamed I was back in bikini shape, just to wake up to a baby scrambling for my boob) the other part wants to hold on to this time when he is totally dependent on me for food and comfort. Way to go on the year, and the sleep! Savor it, I'm totally jealous.

Sarah said...

Get drunk and run around in your fabulous new bras-- why? Because you CAN. And maybe take meds just for the hell of it because why the heck not! Kidding a bit-- know what you meaan. Love the the night cuddle, but I have a Victoria's Sectret gift card screaming my name when the daytime nursing is over-- someday soon!

Amy said...

He still needs you! And I found that after Jack stopped nursing, he became a HUGE cuddler. So that was awesome.

Andrea said...

I must admit I am a teensy bit jealous that you get to wear normal bras again!

Alison said...

Good for you for making the whole year! That's a feat in and of itself!