Monday, May 28, 2007

Chicks Dig Scars....

This is a good thing for my little man. It has been the weekend of the boo boos in the land of Ethan. It seems that the child needs to be in a bubble to protect him from kitty claws and table edges and boxes to topple off of. And, if we could remove his teeth while he's awake, that would be good, too.

See, Ethan enjoys climbing now. And why not?! What a wonderful change in perspective to be 4 inches higher than he was five seconds ago? It's like a whole new world. The problem is that he is not yet so good at staying on top of whatever he scrambles up onto. This would apparently be no big deal, if he didn't have teeth. His head is like concrete (I know because he likes to head butt me around 2am), so I don't worry that a 4 inch drop is going to do to much damage to the old noggin, you know?

What does cause some silent hysterical crying (you know the type--the mouth is open, the face is red, but there is no sound coming out.....until....."WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"), is when he falls off of something and lands with his top two teeth stuck in his bottom lip. Oh yeah. That'll rev things up a bit.

Today, Ethan face planted off one of his toys' boxes and gave himself the aforementioned bite, which resulted in a gushing bloody and swollen lip. Again, much screaming. Much crying.

Finally a popsicle fixed the situation and we have a happy, smiling, giggling, fat-lipped little boy.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Poor Ethan! Life is rough when you're just getting to be mobile! Nathan bit his tongue the other night and had one of those crying fits...I felt horrible!

Emi said...

Sistah...I hope he did not get the "kind of wacky" clumsy gene.. my father and I are were not the most graceful of the clan.. I hope this is just growing pains and not a portend of what's to come.. hopefully he is more like his own father...


Tia E

Becci said...

I think I would cry if that were my baby:(

Sarah said...

This is what keeps me awake at night: (besides the baby who still nurses at 3 am) Harry is rough and tumble, too, and I am surprisingly blase about it-- would I be the same way with a girl? Loved your kitty story, BTW.

Andrea said...

A little dare-devil already! You have your work cut out for you- that's for sure!

Amy said...

Doesn't E know that when you fall, you put your hands out to catch your weight? Jeez, you'd think he was a baby or something. :)

Anonymous said...

Well he certainly looked cool with the cat claw scar on his head. :-)

KMW said...

the pets, the scars, the falls...I think this is motherhood! Poor little E. Chics DO dig scars.