Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Baby Digs the Atkins...

Damn it.
While I sit here, moping over yet more restrictions in my life and craving ice cream and cereal and a gigantic bowl of pasta, the little man in my belly is just dancing around, happy as can be, digesting his egg and peanut butter breakfast. Stupid protein.

Don't get me wrong; I ate plenty of protein and healthy food before my gestational diabetes diagnosis. Lunches were salads with chicken or a vegetarian sub. Dinners always included meat of some kind, a vegetable and a salad. I'm a big fan of the fruits and vegetables and yogurts.

Yes, I indulged in more cookies and ice cream than I did prior to being pregnant, but it's not like I sat around stuffing my face with oreos 24/7. I feel the need to clarify that so that people out there don't assume I am some slovenly, over-eating shut-in, surrounded by empty bags of pepperidge farm cookies and hersey's wrappers and an indelible ring of chocolate around my mouth. NOT true! I've not even gained weight beyond the expected increases in a normal pregnancy. And I've been in bed for almost 11 weeks...

And in my defense, I did have to give up shopping, going out to dinner, and EVERYthing else that involves being out of bed for more than 5 minutes at a time; a woman needs to have SOME vice in her life.

And now I notice that as I restrict my sugar intake to frighteningly low levels (at least by my amateur estimation), and turn into a cranky, scowly version of myself, my baby seems more active and bouncier. He apparently likes his chicken, eggs, salad, zucchini and sugar free popcicles...he is an Atkins man. His father's son.

Fine. I'll endure the sugar headache and the irrational shame of knowing my body has found yet another way to be bad at being pregnant. I'll deal with it and I'll do what I'm supposed to do, but I'm not going to pretend to like it.

During the past 11 weeks, I have had so many people tell me what a positive, optimistic attitude I've had and how it's amazing I've been able to keep my spirits up during the bedrest, the hospitalization, yadda, yadda, yadda...well, I've got news---IT WAS THE SUGAR, PEOPLE. We are now entering unchartered territory and I will say right now--I cannot be held accountable for my new, "improved" sugar-free attitude.

No comments: