Tuesday, April 11, 2006

When a baby isn't really a baby...

So today I went for my 31w ultrasound. Haven't seen the little bean in almost a month, so it was very exciting. He's been moving so much lately and feels so much bigger than he did even a few weeks ago.

I'm happy to say that he is head down and not at all the Incredible Hulk that I feared he would be. As a matter of fact, I am actually fighting the paranoid mommy crazies right now about his weight--3lbs, 9oz., as all my reading says he should be rounding out at 4lbs or above right now. I have a call into my regular doctor as I write, so that hopefully before the end of the day he will call and talk me down off of the ceiling.

I didn't even ask about my cervix, because quite honestly--at this point, any day the baby doesn't just fall right out of my uterus is a good cervix day.

Anyway, to the original point of my post--today's embarrassing moment. For the past two weeks or so, I have noticed, on and off, a seriously hard bump just under my left rib. It wiggles from time to time, and can clearly be felt from outside. I came to the conclusion that this was infact my baby's precious little butt. It's been so exciting to finally be able to identify a body part and "bond" with that part. I have spent a fair amount of my time rubbing it and talking to it...yes, talking to my baby's butt. Bedrest can leave you a tad lonely for companionship...

However, today I had a rude awakening...I found out the bump that sticks out of my belly every so often, is not, in fact, my baby's bottom, but my fibroid....it sticks out a bit when the baby moves a certain way... so, yeah, I've been lovingly rubbing and coo'ing at my fibroid the past week or so, not my baby's butt...nice.

I just hope the fibroid is passing on the love...

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is, quite possibly, the funniest thing I have read today! You should name the fibroid.

And no worries on the weight. It's just a guesstimate and Jack was always less than I thought he should be too. Four pounds is a huge milestone for preemies, so getting there is a good thing, just in case.